Sunday, April 13, 2008

Umstead 100 Miler Pacing

This was the second time that I have paced at the Umstead 100. I have my sights set on running a 100 miler and have been trying to put those wheels into motion this year. I live about an hour and a half from Raleigh (Greenville NC is VERY flat) and I love running at Umstead. The serenity always hits me the same. Whether it is the hills, streams or the occasional runner, it is a great place to train and is well worth the drive. I got to Umstead early in the afternoon. I was supposed to go the day prior but bad storms kept me at home and from camping in the park Friday night. I put up my tent in the rain and rested patiently while thinking about my job as a pacer this year. It had rained most of the day since the race had started. It was cool and I knew that we all had our work cut out for us considering the weather. I got to the Lodge at about 835 after slogging into the parking lot. It was very soupy and I was worried about getting my Focus stuck in the mud. I looked about and saw many familiar and smiling faces. I checked into the pacing desk and waited for whomever needed a pacer. At about 915 pm my turn came. I was asked to join Craig Sandstrom from the other Greenville (SC). I found out that he had ran this race before and was normally around the 20 hour mark. I have been training hard and peaked for the pacing like I would any race of this distance. I found out that he was on lap 7 and only had two to go. I came with the understanding that I could have run up to 50 if I had wanted, but I decided to run both with Craig. We ran a very even pace the 7th lap and we only spent a small amount of time back at the lodge before lap 8. He had a small spot on his foot where an old blister came off but other than that he was in good spirits and was feeling ok. He said that he had gone our easier than last year and was feeling stronger every lap. We ran a very fast last lap and he finished the race 8th overall in the 100 with a time of 20:18:32. I was very glad that I had the opportunity to run with someone that gave me some insight as to how to plan my first 100. He is running MMT in May and I would love to pace him again but unfortunately that is our state Track meet day. My training is still going great. I have my heart monitor down to a science and my gym workouts are awesome. Many thanks to all of the Umstead 100 staff. Mike Walsh, Sally Squier and Blake the RD are just first class. A must for all east coast runners. Happy Trails. Jeff

No comments: